1 Pre-Foundation & Foundation /Beginner Levels
- aramandi (lower body posture)
- saushthavam (upper body posture)
- anga suddham (clarity of limbs)
- ability to do each adavu in slow- medium-fast speeds, and maintain clarity.
2. Coordination of different body parts. This is a very critical and time consuming process.
3. Ability to relate theory to movements.
4. Ability to dance simple sequence of movements.
Emphasis on the need to supplement class learning with individual practice at home.
This is based on the fact that in this phase the students will be learning 8 adavu grouping. Each group consists of 4 adavus on an average. 4 classes are set aside for each adavu.
2 Intermediate Level
2. Dance Pieces
3. Continuing with the theory of Dance Introduction to the usage of Hasta (hand gestures) known as viniyogas
4. Two class assignments per semester
2. Skills to dance complex movement sequences, known as korvai.
3. Ability to transaction from one movement to the next and from one speed to the other.
4. Ability to remember the order of movement sequences
Exposure to the background of Bharata Natyam through class assignments.
This is based on the fact that the students will be learning 10 adavu grouping in this phase which are more complex in nature. Each group consists of 4 adavus on an average. 4 classes are set aside for each adavu.
3 Intermediate Level
Introducing Nritya, which is the narrative or story telling aspect.
3. Continue usage of hastas or viniyoga and class assignments
2. Ability to project expressions.
4 Intermediate Level
5 Advanced Level
This is the most critical piece in the dance form.
2. Continuing with the theory.
Developing stamina as this piece on an average is of 20 -25 minutes duration.
6 Advanced Level
(minimum of two)
These are expressive pieces.
2. Develop balance to freeze into poses.
*List of Adavus
- Tatta Adavu (4)
- Natta Adavu (6 basic) (5 advanced)*
- Visharu Adavu (6)
- Pak Adavu (3)
- Peri Adavu (3)
- Tat- tai- ta- ha Adavu (7)*
- Tirmanam Adavu (6)**
- Murka Adavu (4)*
- Yettu Adavu (3)*
- Kuditamitta Adavu (10)
- Mandi Adavu (7)**
- Sarikal Adavu (6)
- Nadai Adavu(3)
- Tatimettu Adavu (5)
- Tai-taimtat-ta Adavu (3)
- Utplavan Adavu (last two kartari) (4)*
- Brahmaris (pirouettes) (3)
- Tai-tam Adavu (2)
** Very difficult